Calling all secondary school students living and/ or studying in Lantau to enter in the Young Writer’s Competition 2019!
Here’s your chance to prove and improve your writing skills, express your ideas and get published! From the articles submitted, our three mentors each select a winning story and work on improving it with the author. The three finished articles are then posted on the Around DB and Life on Lantau Facebook pages for an online vote.
• A secondary school student living and/ or studying in Lantau
The article is
• A ghost story of 600 to 700 words, submitted as a word document
• Authors also submit their full name, age and the name of their school (the mentors will be given the age of the writers only)
How it works
• May 3: Deadline for submission to [email protected]
• May 4-7: The mentors select three winning entries
• May 8 to June 5: Each mentor meets with one winning writer to provide advice on improving the article. The writer reworks the piece and resubmits it to his/ her mentor, who checks it and passes it to [email protected] for online posting
• June 7, 8am: The three winning articles are posted on the Around DB and Life on Lantau Facebook pages for readers to vote online
• June 14, 9am: Online voting ends
• June 14, 5pm: The results of Young Writers Competition (YWC) 2019 are posted on the Around DB and Life on Lantau Facebook pages and www.arounddb.com
What you get
• The winning article is published in the July issue of Around DB and the August issue of Life on Lantau
• The three finalists are profiled in the July issue of Around DB and the August issue of Life on Lantau
• HK$800, HK$500 and HK$400 Bookazine vouchers for the three finalists
• HK$200 Bookazine vouchers for the three runners up
• Prize giving at Discovery Bay International School
About the mentors
Peter Sherwood and Trisha Hughes are delighted to be reprising their roles as YWC mentors, along with new recruit John Saeki. All three mentors are published writers and, of course, Around DB and Life on Lantau contributors. Trisha, Peter and John are thrilled to have this opportunity to share their insights and help our young readers get published for the first time.
Be sure to submit your article by May 3 to [email protected]
Tags: competition, writing, young writer's competition 2019, bookazine