Home / News / Residents evacuated from Tung Chung apartment block as firefighters tackle blaze

Residents evacuated from Tung Chung apartment block as firefighters tackle blaze

Posted in : News on by : Around DB Comments: 0

Around 100 residents were evacuated from a residential tower block in Tung Chung on Monday (February 27), after a blaze broke out in an apartment on the 25th floor.

It is believed the fire was caused by a kettle boiling dry. The resident of the flat, an elderly lady, reportedly suffered burns to her face, hands and feet before escaping, and was taken to hospital for treatment.

It is understood that two other people were treated for smoke inhalation.

A video shared on Facebook showed plumes of black smoke billowing out of the flat before firefighters extinguished the blaze.

The fire comes as a stark reminder to building residents of the importance of kitchen safety and developing a fire escape plan in case of emergency. For more information on fire prevention and safety, go to www.hkfsd.gov.hk/eng/source/safety/what_to_do.pdf.

Video still: ??? on Facebook
Main image: Alex Sing on Facebook

READ MORE NEWS

Police appeal for information after woman goes missing on Lantau

Ngong Ping cable car sees rise in visitor numbers, despite overall decline in tourism in Hong Kong

Add New Comment

Rating

× Thank you for your comment. Your feedback has been submitted to an administrator for approval.