Home / News / Proposals to stop repeat of Lantau Link transport chaos

Proposals to stop repeat of Lantau Link transport chaos

Posted in : News on by : Around DB Comments: 0

Analysis continues by Hong Kong government officials of the commuter chaos caused when the Lantau Link was closed for two hours after a barge hit the main road link to Lantau.

The South China Morning Post reported legislators have suggested options including more ferry services from Tung Chung pier and tightening height restrictions on ships passing bridges to Lantau.

The Kap Shui Mun Bridge, the only road and rail connection to Lantau, was closed for two hours on Friday after the barge collision, causing chaos across Hong Kong with commuters struggling to get the airport. It was the first time the link had been closed since Chek Lap Kok opened in 1998.

The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government said it would look at ways of improving emergency responses in the wake of the incident.

READ MORE: Government to learn from bridge experience

READ MORE: Cathay Pacific considering more seats in economy class

A second link to Lantau was proposed in 2002 from Yuen Long to North Lantau, but was defeated in the Legislative Council.

The South China Morning Post reported pan-democratic lawmaker Cyd Ho Sau-lan remained an opponent of another link to Lantau.

“Should we conserve or urbanise Lantau? I do not want the island turning into a second Kwai Chung,” she said.

She suggested expanding the Tung Chung ferry pier, but said extra ferries to Discovery Bay were not a good alternative as it was still too far to the airport.

Another lawmaker who voted against the 2002 project, Chan Kam-lam, said efforts should instead be focused on how to avoid similar ship accidents.

He proposed tightening height restrictions on ships passing bridges to Lantau.

Photograph courtesy Wikimedia Images

Add New Comment

Rating

× Thank you for your comment. Your feedback has been submitted to an administrator for approval.