The Hong Kong government has announced plans this week for an expansion of Hong Kong Disneyland including two brand new areas, one based on the movie Frozen and the other on Marvel superheroes.
The Frozen-themed area will be located near ‘It’s a Small World’, and will feature two new attractions as well as themed dining, shopping and entertainment, all in the magical surroundings of Arandelle.
The Marvel-themed area will include new rides and a reimagined version of the Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters attraction, where guests will be able to fight alongside the icons of the Marvel Universe. The area will also include the new Iron Man attraction, which opens on January 1, 2017.
The proposed expansion will begin in 2018, with new attractions set to launch every year until 2023. The development will also see a complete transformation of Sleeping Beauty’s castle and a new “Adventureland Show Place” based on the new Disney movie Moana.
Speaking yesterday, Gregory So, secretary for commerce and economic development, said that the HK$10.9 billion project would be funded proportionately by the resort’s shareholders, with 53% coming from the Hong Kong government and 47% from The Walt Disney Company. “In other words, the government will inject HK$5.8 billion and the Walt Disney Company will inject HK$5.1 billion,” he announced.
It is hoped that the expansion of the resort will counter falling visitor numbers, which saw the park record a loss of HK$148 million last year.
In a statement on the resort’s website, chairman Bob Chapek said, “We are more excited than ever about the future of Hong Kong Disneyland. We are bringing the best of The Walt Disney Company to this wonderful tourist destination, giving guests from around the world an experience only Disney can deliver and an experience they can only have with us at Hong Kong Disneyland.”
The proposal is due to go before the Legislative Council on November 28 with approval for funding to be requested at a later date.
Images: Hong Kong Disneyland