T3 in force, T8 expected later today
- Written by arounddb, 6 June 2017
As of 10.45am today, the Hong Kong Observatory has hoisted Strong Wind Signal No.3. Tropical storm Merbok is expected to cause strong winds and heavy showers throughout the day.
While Merbok is a relatively small storm, kindergartens have been closed for the day, and members of the public are advised to take necessary precautions. The Observatory has issued the following safety recommendations:
- Do not participate in water sports or beach activities
- Secure any loose outdoor objects (furniture, plant pots, toys etc)
- Stay away from exposed areas when walking or driving
- Owners of boats should make the appropriate safety arrangements
The Observatory has announced that it is expecting to issue the T8 later today.
Winds are forecast to strengthen during the night, as the tropical cyclone nears Hong Kong, and the rain will likely continue tomorrow. It is predicted that the storm will drop by early Wednesday morning.