HK Electric warns his customers to be aware of scam emails
- Written by arounddb, 20 May 2016
Lantau residents have been receiving fraudulent emails from supposedly HK Electric company, asking them to register online, get a refund or pay online.
HK Electric is warning its customers that there has been an increase in fraudulent emails asking customers to access their online services using hyperlinks. In order to protect yourself from false emails, HK Electric has issued a statement.
"HK Electric has not sent out any emails to customers requesting them to log in to their accounts to apply for electricity tariff refund, nor will the company collect customer information via hyperlinks in emails. HK Electric advised customers to confirm with the company's customer centre (tel: 2987 3411) if they have received any suspicious emails related to their accounts and to watch out for any suspected email scams."
HK Electric's recommendations:
- Access our website by manually typing www.hkelectric.com or bookmark
- Do not access the online service through hyperlinks embedded in unknown e-mails
- Do not open unknown e-mails and browse any suspicious websites
- If you are using Internet Explorer, please right click on this page and select “Properties” to view the security certificate of Hongkong Electric “Account-On-Line” Services.
MORE POPULAR STORIES TO READ