She did it!
- Written by arounddb, 10 April 2016
Zein Williams of Lantau wins a stunning 9th consecutive race, 3rd overall women's championship
The Bonaqua LIFEPROOF Action Sprints the series came to its third and final leg on the morning of April 10, Sunday at Pak Tam Chung, Sai Kung with runners clocking the fastest times yet over the 12km shortened course.
Zein Williams continued her undefeated reign with 9 consecutive Action Sprint wins in a row, grabbing the overall Women’s title -- Queen of the Sprint -- for the third time in 1 hour 12 minutes 46 seconds.
“I am good, not too tired now. I think it was good to run on the road at the beginning and end as good training to increase the pace compared to the trails, but I felt it mentally tough as 2 different types of running today," said the British runner and overall Women’s champion.
"I love the beautiful scenery around Sai Kung and I think Action Asia Events did a good job, designing a good course even without gullies as now there are AFCD restrictions. Great to see oranges, bananas, bisquits at checkpoints. I am sure to come next year.”
North Face team member Australian national Vlad Ixel won his second Action Sprint and was crowned King of the Sprint series with a time of of 58 minutes 30 seconds -- the only runner going under the 1-hour mark.
"I think Discovery Bay leg of the Sprint series would be the most challenging of these three races. I would like to come back for the series next year.” said overall champion Ixel.
The Bonaqua LIFEPROOF Action Sprints are warm-up events for the C3fit Action Asia Challenge on May 8, featuring 3 categories: Trail running, Kayak 'n Run and Full Adventure. It is made possible by Bonaqua, LIFEPROOF, Action X Store, HOKA One One, C3fit, Salonsip, Aquarius, HKRI, Royale International, OL&N, Herbalgy and the Action Asia Foundation.
Congratulations, Zein Williams!
Overall Top 5 Men
1. Vlad Ixel - Australia - The North Face - 00:58:30
2. Brian Mcflynn - Ireland - 1:02:03
3. Seth Fischer - Germany - 1:03:11
4. Hoi Chun Eric Yeung - Hong Kong - 1:04:23
5. Wai Hei Ng - Hong Kong - Asia Trail - 1:05:10
Overall Top 5 Women
1. Zein Williams - United Kingdom - Raidlight - 1:12:46
2. Baby Marites Sotto Bitbit - Philippines - The North Face - 1:15:23
3. Joyce Edmondson - Canada - 1:17:14
4. Fong Lam - China - 1:22:01
5. Silke Bender - Germany - 1:24:09