Community rallies against South Lantau road proposal
- Written by December 11, 2015
A community meeting and protest is being planned by Lantau residents in response to a proposal to relax South Lantau traffic regulations.
The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government announced last week, as reported by arounddb.com, that more vehicles will be allowed on South Lantau roads at the end of the year.
Concerned residents have called a community meeting next Saturday, December 19 in Mui Wo at 3pm, organised by the Save Lantau Alliance and the Lantau Buffalo Association.
The action groups then plan to follow up the meeting with a protest on Sunday, December 20 from Pier 6 in Central to Government offices.
Ho Loy, of the Lantau Buffalo Association, said she was extremely disappointed by the Government's move to open South Lantau to more traffic.
The changes will apply to tour coaches and private cars on closed roads in South Lantau and will be introduced in phases.
The first phase will see an increase in the maximum number of tour coaches per day from 30 to 40 and a maximum of 25 private cars permitted to enter South Lantau from Monday to Friday (except public holidays) for leisure and recreational purposes from December 25.
"We have been working on this road safety issue for six years," she said. "I am very frustrated with the Government over this."
Ho said there were a number of traffic issues for South Lantau including speeding, the monitoring of road permits and lack of parking in the villages.
She said the community had been lobbying for a number of measures such as better control of permits and driver awareness campaigns.
To find out further updates about the community activity go to the South Lantau Concern Group Facebook page.