Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge delay confirmed
- Written by November 26, 2015
The ambitious $133 billion bridge project between Hong Kong and Macau will be delayed by a year, the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government has confirmed.
The Highways Department yesterday issued a statement about the project, saying it had been targeted for completion by the end of next year.
However, it was now not likely that the Hong Kong local projects - the boundary crossing facilities and a link road - would be completed until 2017.
The Highways Department said the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge Authority as well as the three relevant governments had been implementing the projects against the 2016 target.
However, the Department said the project was "huge and complicated" and there had been many technical challenges during both the design and construction stages.
This has resulted in difficulties of the construction and pressure in meeting the schedule.
The department's statement said the progress of the projects had been reviewed with safety and quality assurance as the major concerns.
After a meeting with the Joint Works Committee, the Authority and relevant governments were required to refine the schedule based on an in-depth analysis of construction difficulties and risks.
That in-depth assessment is still in progress.
Meanwhile, the Highways Department has announced "it appears that the Hong Kong Boundary Crossing Facilities and the Hong Kong Link Road projects cannot be completed on time by end 2016".
The statement said: "In the face of construction difficulties and challenges such as the unstable supply of materials, shortage of labour, restriction in airport height, constraints in environmental protection requirement and slower than expected consolidation performance of reclamation works, etc., HyD preliminarily forecast that the local projects in Hong Kong can only be completed by end 2017."